Sunday, July 28, 2013

49 Miles

I ran 49 miles this week.

Because of my work schedule, I didn't get any really long runs in this week. But I did get in 49 miles. The most I've ever run in a single week - in all of my marathon training - is 50 miles. And it's only week 13 of 30.

The good news is that it didn't feel like too much. At all. I'm tired for sure -- but not overwhelmingly so. I worked on my feet for 8 hours after both of my long runs this weekend...and came out unscathed. So I am feeling pretty good. Up we go.

We did have to scrap speed work this week. At the beginning of the week my hamstrings were very tight. That's an old and nagging problem that we don't want to mess with. So we decided to just get in the miles. I am still getting faster, though. That is, I am running at my desired "feel" (easy pace, long pace, etc.) and my paces are getting faster and my HR is staying reasonably low and I am feeling better and stronger. I am guessing the tightness was the result of the trail marathon extravaganza and the 5-mile race within 6 days of each other. That was a bit much. But it was good for my focus and mental toughness. I had to run both of them on tired legs...which is frustrating. I like racing and I like setting PRs. But more than that, I want to arrive at this 50 prepared and healthy.

Not much else to report! I had a great week of training. Was focused and determined to get every mile in despite a crazy busy schedule. Proud of my commitment. As Wendy can attest, this is my first ever training cycle where I have not yet missed a single mile or workout. I have, though, been a bit lazy on strength and core work lately. Gotta get back on that: it works.

Also, just a reminder that I'd love your support on this journey to 50!

Training Mileage Summary
Week 1: 30
Week 2: 31
Week 3: 36
Week 4: 36
Week 5: 27
Week 6: 32
Week 7: 40
Week 8: 34 (Grandma's Half)
Week 9: 43
Week 10: 44
Week 11: 40 (trail marathon)
Week 12: 33 (5-miler)
Week 13: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment