Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 4: Running Long and Strong

For a little recap on miles:
(19 week training schedule)

Week 1 (6/27-7/3): 35 miles (this was only one week after Grandma's on 6/18 - I think Wendy counts this as a recovery week, but I started my training log here).
Week 2 (7/4-7/10): 28 miles (cut one run due to work/holiday/logistics)
Week 3: (7/11-7/17): 45 miles
Week 4: (7/18-7/24): 39 miles (step back week moved up one week - from next week to this week...i.e. upping the miles next week).

-----
So here we are. I missed one run this week due to scheduling/logistics with work and family visiting. It's early - and Wendy decided to just make this week the step back week instead of next. So we're fine. The challenge this summer is simply finding the hours to do the runs. I have lots of work obligations (stressful stuff like happy hours and receptions) that I need to go do - I'm trying to land a job for next summer and then my real life after school. As such, we've had to be a bit creative with scheduling.

If you've been following this blog since the beginning, you know that Wendy only wants me running four days/week. But lots of miles on those days...and sometimes doubles. But that is sometimes not feasible with this job because I can't get out there before 5am (too dark, not doin' it) and there are so many things in the evening. So we have been doing 5 days some weeks (to meet the overall mileage target). While I sincerely do not want to leave Minneapolis and am not really excited about going back to D.C. for the fall, I am looking forward to getting to make my own schedule again. Ah, school. It's good for that.

I can't believe I have already reached a 45 mile week. The most miles I ever ran in a week before this training plan was a 50 mile week. Once. In 2008, I think. I am going to have a lot of miles on my legs come November.

The runs have been going well and I am feeling really strong. The toughest runs have been my Sunday long runs. The pace work and fartleks are the easiest. I love running fast. Even if it's technically harder, it's not harder for me mentally because I am more focused, paying attention to a number and I get to get my legs turning in a way I love. But my LSD runs (long slow distance) have been the hardest this cycle.

I ran 8 easy miles yesterday and 18 easy ones today. Both runs were blah. Not bad...not necessarily hard, just blah. My legs felt dead. Fitness-wise I feel fine. I can definitely hold a conversation and I am not breathing heavy. But my legs are tired. They feel heavy. Now, part of it may be my diet, which has not been great this summer. I was doing well with it before Grandma's...but again, all this work-pampering hasn't led to the best stuff in my stomach. I have gained a couple of pounds and can feel it. I also think mentally it's just harder for me to go slow. I do need to remember, though, that I am going much faster than I used to for these runs. In past training cycles, my LSD pace (for my goal race pace of 10 minute miles) was 11-11:30 minute miles, or 60-90 seconds slower than race pace. That's what I was always told to do. I am running all of these slow, easy miles between 10:15 and 10:30 pace (sometimes with a few fast finish miles at the end). Not because Wendy told me to. She hasn't given me any pace - just slow and easy. I just can't seem to run them slower, even when my legs are tired. It's like this is just my natural LSD pace - for the most part. It's as if my heart rate, mind, and overall fitness are there but my legs haven't quite caught up. They will get there. I am not worried. I just have to buckle down and do it and I don't enjoy these workouts as much as I want to.

Still, I can't believe I've already logged an 18 miler! Happy face. I followed it up today by watching the final stage of the Tour de France and then taking a 2.5 hour nap. Again, happy face. 

Sorry - no fun tidbits or stories here! Just plugging along. Thanks for reading! And thanks - to so many of you, for responding with your bits of encouragement and inspiration. I need them. I value them. You're part of why I get up at 5am consistently and I'm grateful!

Bring on more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment