Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Getting Close: Taper

Yes, I've been bad about my blogging again. Urgh. I really do enjoy doing this for myself as much as anyone who might read it. It's a good exercise.

Anyway, my hamstrings are gradually improving, just like they did last time. Now that I am in taper, I am feeling confident that that will be decent come race day.

Here is where we stand:

End of Week 16 of 19-week training cycle (...starting week 17)

1-35 (long run: 12 miler - two weeks after Grandma's Marathon)
2-28 (long run: 14 miler)
3-45 (long run: 16 miler)
4-39 ((long run: 18 miler)
5-28 (12 miler - bailed due to heat)
6-45 (long run: 18 miler)
7-7 (no comment)
8-27 (long run: 15 miler)
9-41 (long run: 17 miler)
10-46 (long run: 18 miler)
11-41 (half marathon PR!)
12-50 (long run: 20 miler)
13-48 (long run: 16)
14-7 (bad hamstring trouble following terrible massage, did some XT)
15-39 (long run: 20) Still recovering, hamstrings not quite right, jogged Army-10 the day after the 20.
16-43 (long run: 22) Massive back pain early in the week - not sure the cause. Eased up by the end of the week.
Taper
17-37 is scheduled for this week, long run: 16
18-taper week 2, mileage will be drastically cut
19-Race Week!

Again, not ideal. And not what we planned. But it's what I've done and what I've got.

Anyway, I am feeling GREAT! My 22-miler Sunday was my longest training run ever and my hamstrings felt REALLY good. Of course my legs were tired at the end - but normal-I-worked-hard-tired, not something-is-wrong-with-me tired. I am pleased.

My goal? I don't know. I have absolutely no idea how to wrap my head around it at this point. I know I am capable of running sub-4. I am just not sure if it might be too little too late for everything to come together given all of my hiccups and problems. All I know is that I feel very strong. I haven't had a lot of the old problems I used to have running (asthma trouble, IBS, blood sugar issues, etc.). From where I stand, I am not sure if I have done enough - and I wish I hadn't needed all of the rest time - but I am going to give it a shot. My biggest mistake this cycle, I have determined, is the complete lack of strength/core work. I need it. Clearly. My big goal following this marathon (yes, I am getting ahead of myself) is to completely tackle that issue before I start training for the next one. I think I could see some major improvements if I added a significant amount of core training. And I think I need the strength work to get this hamstring working properly and not requiring so much rest time.

Getting excited about the trip and the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment