Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week 2: Patience and Jefferson

I just finished my last run of Week 2 of JFK training. All of my runs felt great this week - mostly because I decided to return to low heart rate training. I've done this in the past, it's worked every time, I am starting near zero, I've got plenty of time: ideal opportunity to return to what works.

Now, for me, this type of training takes two things: (1) patience, and (2) massive pride swallowing. Why patience? Because in the beginning I have to run so slow. The program I follow is (very) loosely based on the methods of Phil Maffetone (MAF). And I mean loosely. Basically, I use the 180 formula and, in these beginning stages of training, when I am just trying to get my fitness back, I stick to my number as best I can. For me, that number is 146. Basically, I try to stay at 146 for my entire run, give or take. I am healthy, so I can basically use a range from 146-151.

This may seem arbitrary and stupid, but like I said: it works. I was first introduced to low heart rate training sometime around 2007 or 2008 when I was working with my former personal trainer and good friend Melissa Simmens (runner and completer of many ultras). She had tried every training plan - Higdon, Pfitzinger, etc. - but she couldn't get her Boston Qualifier. She spent one training cycle doing MAF and BOOM: BQ.

It works, because it forces me to slow down and gradually build my fitness. When I don't do it, I tend to go out, run too hard, get tired, get frustrated, get burned out. And, actually, it's REALLY fun to see my progress. Within a matter of a week or two you see changes. My paces drop almost daily as I continue to run at the same heart rate. Being able to actually see my improvement in a concrete number is really fun! Especially during a long training cycle.

Now, the MAF program, when actually followed, includes a lot of additional things that I don't do. Why? Because I don't want to and I don't enjoy them. And because simply using that number has proven useful for me in the past, every. single. time. I. have. done. it.

It does take pride-swallowing though. Especially in these early weeks. I am out there on the National Mall at 6am with all the hard core runners and I am plodding along about 3 minutes per mile slower than I'd prefer to be running. It can also be a HUGE challenge to stay slow enough, especially in the beginning. But, alas, it works.

This week I enjoyed running around the Tidal Basin quite a bit. The water is really high (lots of dead fish on the path!) and everything smells so fresh (not the fish, but the stuff in bloom).

And who knew there was a George Mason monument hidden on the other side? Not this girl.

Been enjoying visiting this guy:

Jefferson Memorial

In other news: My wonderful coach and dear friend Wendy finished her first 50-miler yesterday! It's wasn't her first ultra, she ran a 60K last year. Anyway, I won't reveal her results because she will likely blog about it and I don't want to steal her thunder. Let's just say I am exceptionally proud and confident that I am being trained by someone who knows how to prepare to run 50 miles! We're going to have a fun journey together between now and November. Congrats, Wendy!

Training Mileage Summary
Week One: 30 miles
Week Two: 31 miles (yeah, I cheated and added one)

No comments:

Post a Comment