Monday, January 24, 2022

Progress and Adjustments

 A little update:

So far I have remained (more or less) committed to my goals - and I am feeling great - both physically and mentally. Physically speaking: it was time. I had done very little exercise since becoming pregnant and, frankly, I no longer felt like myself. And it's about more than unused muscles and creeky joints - I just didn't feel right. 

I feel the need to choose my words quite carefully when writing about this stuff so as not to suggest that things like body weight and fitness are, or should be, universally-sought goals and aspirations. I want to be clear that, in this space, I am only talking about how I feel and about what makes me tick and feel more authentically me. 

Anyway, my progress towards all of my goals has been imperfect but steady and that's all I can ask of myself.

As stated, (for now) I am sticking almost exclusively to Peloton content. I have not been disappointed and figured I'd share some highlights:

1. I continue to prefer power zone workouts (w/Matt and Denis) on the Bike, though Wendy has prescribed me some fun "low impact" classes with Tunde, Robin, and Hannah C. that have been great and particularly motivational. 

2. The Cardio HIIT classes are incredible. I loved these types of classes at my former gym and I am enjoying these just as much. Classes with Jess Sims and Adrian have kicked my butt in the best kind of way.

3. On the Tread, I discovered hikes! (Thanks, Wendy). They are incredible! Hikes are basically walks on the Tread utilizing incline. Sounds simple and lame but they are anything but. Jess Sims' hikes are great (and hard!) - and a better workout than some runs I've done!

4. Hannah Corbin's barre, stretch, and foam rolling classes continue to be just so, so good. Good for me and, also, SO FUN! Hard but productive in the so many ways. Relaxing and affirming in even better ways.

Anyway, hit me up if you'd like any specific suggestions or recommendations.

Also, I bought a new (essential) toy for my Bike. If there is one, universal complaint about the Peloton Bike it is that it is not an awesome fit for short people. (And, as well all know, at 5'0" I am the shortest kind of short person). There is no adjustment that allows you to move the handlebars forward and back - you can only move them up and down (albeit at an angle). Well, I held off for a while, but Coach Wendy strongly encouraged that I get an aftermarket add-on called "The Adjuster." It costs a million dollars, but I highly recommend for fellow short Peloton riders who are able to find the cash. (I was able spread out my payments, which helps; I also bought it when they were having a sale). It really makes a big difference and it's hard for me to understand why Peloton hasn't either (1) added something similar to their Bike, or (2) cashed in on offering this ad-on. Whatever the case - Top Form Design, the company that makes the Adjuster is AMAZING and super accessible. So, I am happy to support them.

So, that's it, for now. It's cold. The snow is deep. It's still January. Not much else to report. However, posts always seems too dry and boring without a picture so, here is a black-and-white-filtered picture of my kiddo dunking on his basketball hoop. Be well, and get to it, friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment