Sunday, June 5, 2011

Relay Fun! - Race Report

Today I participated in the Minneapolis Marathon Relay. What a blast. This is a great event, from what I could tell - and a great course...at least the first 5.2 miles! That was my leg. We had a near perfect morning...maybe a bit warm if you were running the full, but it felt great to me. Not a cloud in the sky and a nice cool breeze.

This is a smallish event - 4800 people they said, and that includes the full, half, and relay. The logistics were flawless even with some recent flooding that required the course to change a bit...and maintenance on the local light rail system that meant the race organizers had to enlist last minute school buses for those needing transport to the relay zones. From what I saw, it all went off without a hitch.

Let's just say Grandma's definitely has some competition.

I started the relay and my leg was a blast. Not a lot to report when you run only 5 miles of a much longer race! I knew my legs would be tired. They were pretty trashed after yesterday's 16 and this was my final push before taper. Wendy told me I was free to "race it" but reminded me not to be surprised if my legs didn't have a lot of pep. They didn't. But I still enjoyed running fast. I actually got my heart pumping (in a way that long slow runs just don't require) and it was fun to sprint it in at the end.

This whole course is centered by and around the Mississippi river and I think my leg alone went over 3 bridge. It was quite picturesque. (I can't wait to move back here for good!) My leg had a few hills, but nothing to really report about them - especially since I wasn't out there that long. I did, however, have some negative thoughts. Well, if you consider envy to be a negative thing. I wanted to be running that pace and be in a full marathon, just like all the people around me. I want to be that fast for 26.2.

OK, this is my favorite part...

There weren't very many relay teams, from what I could tell. So when I entered the "exchange zone" I was all alone. I sprinted in and was standing in the middle of the chute, which was lined with spectators...and I couldn't find Mark, my second leg. Finally I stopped. Started spinning in circles...took the chip off of my ankle...and froze. Um, Mark? Hello? "What does he look like"? people asked. He's blonde and he's wearing the race shirt. OK, well that narrowed it down to about half of the people standing there. Lots of blondes back here in my home state. "What's his name"? They asked. Mark. Everyone...and I mean EVERYONE in the exchange area started yelling: MARK! MARK! This was, of course, quite startling to him as he exited the port-o-pottie! ;)

I did run faster than I had expected, so I arrived a bit "early." :)

Wendy told me I could race it and gave me an expected pace that she thought I'd be able to hold, given the large amount of training I'd been doing. But there was no pressure to hold it. I had no idea how "racing" would feel after all these miles I have been running. Well, as it turned out...I far exceeded our plan. I averaged 45 seconds/mile faster than what she suggested. It felt pretty easy out there, actually, and I know that I could have gone faster. Had I been rested, I could have gone MUCH faster. That feels good. So much exciting running to come as I keep getting fitter.

Have I mentioned lately in one of these posts how much I love having Wendy in my life? Really, I just love Wendy. I feel SO lucky to have her coaching me. And she is coaching me. We keep putting "coach" in quotes - but she is truly a coach. And a good one. I love the dynamic we have and the program we are developing. She has already helped me improve my running in so many ways - many of them having nothing to do with what happens when I am actually running. Again, I can't wait to see what's to come.

2 weeks until Grandma's. Taper time.

Here is a picture of me, Kei, and Mark at the finish waiting to cheer for Lori:



Here is the whole team:

No comments:

Post a Comment