Saturday, June 4, 2011

Welcome to Minneapolis!

On the schedule today was 16 miles. It was originally a 20, but after the 18 trashed my legs last weekend, I asked Wendy about the possibility of actually doing a more of a traditional, 3-week taper. I usually prefer 2 - at least I think I do. I got that in my head at some point. Today is exactly 2 weeks from Grandma's Marathon so in 2-week taper land, it was the day for my final long run. Wendy thought about it, consulted with her husband (who helps her train) and all agreed that a 16-miler would be fine. It would get the job done, but not risk being just too much. I have only had 3 weeks of training under this new system with Wendy so my legs are still asking a lot of questions!

I am living in South Minneapolis very close to "The Lakes" as people in the Twin Cities call them. I really had it in my mind that I knew the Twin Cities - and that I knew Minneapolis. After all, I went to college for 4 years in St. Paul. But that was: 1) a really long time ago, 10 years to be exact (my reunion is this weekend) and 2) I didn't live in Minneapolis. I drove over here a lot, hung out, but never really got to know this city. I have a LOT of exploring and learning to do on foot, on bike, and by bus because this summer ... I am carless.

I stepped out the door today and headed towards Lake Harriet. Wow was that slick. Exactly one mile away, straight down the street. Brilliant. I got on the lake path and all was well. It was busy for sure, but not too crazy. I meandered over to Lake Calhoun for one lap...but it was busier over there so in the end, I finished up back over on Lake Harriet. You may wonder how big these lakes are around. Hmm. Me too. I guess I am not sure! I think Harriet is 2.75 and Calhoun is a bit bigger. Ah, the things we fail to pay attention when we are attached to our Garmin.

Here is an internet pic of Lake Harriet.



This run was tough. TOUGH. My fitness level feels great, but my legs are so, so, so tired. Not hurt. Nothing's wrong. They are just fatigued.

But they won't get a break quite yet.

Tomorrow I am running the Minneapolis Marathon. No, not the whole thing. And not even half of it. I am running the relay! I put together a team with a friend from high school, a friend from college, and a friend from grad school. Our team name is School Ties. The three of them don't know each other...It's going to be an interesting day. I am the first leg: 5.2 miles. I think Wendy wants me doing 10, so I will have to add a little on at some point tomorrow.

Anyway, I am very excited to finally be starting my summer!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! The lakes are great.

    My 10-mile loop is Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. I start from Isles and make my way over south. I do my long runs (16+ milers) on the Greenway, then along West River Parkway, and finally back over to the lakes via Minnehaha Parkway.

    Let's talk more in the coming weeks you're here! Excited to have you in Mpls!

    ReplyDelete