Saturday, November 5, 2011

Follies Full Circle

Well, here we are. NYC Marathon eve. I really can't believe it. When Wendy and I started discussing having her take part in the great "experiment" of coaching me (a sprinter) to something better than a 4:47 marathon time, this day seemed SO FAR AWAY! We knew from the beginning - back in April, that this was the goal race. I was already entered in this race and Grandma's Marathon. Grandma's was too soon for a full training program...so we decided that would be a step along the way. NYC was the big goal. And it's TOMORROW!

Now, I love New York City. I "grew up" here. It's where I feel I first lived as an "adult". I moved here in January of 2002 (when I was 23) and was here until I got relocated for work to Maryland in 2007. I miss it terribly. It's awesome to be back.

Today, we (my mom, step-dad, and I) had a free afternoon, so we hit the half-price ticket booth to get tickets to a show. I absolutely love Bernadette Peters, and Sondheim is to me what Jesus is to Christians, so I put in my vote to see Follies. We got amazing, center orchestra tickets and the show. was. amazing. Loved it.

During the second act, as the four main characters were performing their "follies," I started to think about what the word "folly" means and I had a massive "DUH" light bulb moment. I had dictionary.com'd that word before. On May 15th, in fact. When I wrote my first blog post.

I am a Broadway girl at heart. Always have been. I am what those in the the biz call a "twirlie." I never pass up an opportunity to karaoke show tunes; especially if "I Know Him So Well" or "Out Tonight" are in the book. So when I was trying to decide what to call this blog, I wanted something clever...and I wanted it to play on my whole personal experiment/doubt/curiosity/etc. as to whether or not I really am a pure sprinter or if we might be able to turn me into a more respectable (in terms of what I wanted to achieve, anyway) distance runner. I also wanted the title to make some sort of play on a show tune or show. It's my thing. And whether it was clear to those reading it or not, I wanted it to be in there. I wasn't exactly sure how I would do that in a way that would reference my doubts as to whether what I was trying to do was silly, given my past life, and nature, as a pure sprinter. And it really did seem kinda like a silly quest. Maybe not silly - but I definitely wasn't sure if I would have success...and often felt a little stupid (as my first post suggests) calling myself a marathoner.

I thought through the musical theater canon and almost instantly thought about Follies.


As a girl who saw herself as pure fast-twitch, continuing to pursue the beast that is the marathon did, at times, seem like a foolish undertaking. A folly.

If I do say so myself, my intended play on words aligned with my goals, and passions, perfectly. But I didn't even think about it until part way through the second act. Then BAM! I am at Follies! Woah. Full circle.

Thanks for all of your support, everyone. I am gonna give it my all tomorrow.

And if there is one thing I can say I have learned from this experience, even before I run the race, it is that what I decided to try to do with these fast-twitch muscles of mine was, after all, no folly at all. It's actually been completely life-changing, and self-affirming, in ways that I can't even begin to get into in this little post. I owe about 65% of it to Wendy. I do. But I will take credit for having the courage to give it a go, and the cunning to convince Wendy to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment