Thursday, November 3, 2011

Race Day Tracking Options

Many of you have asked about tracking. I figured I'd do a blog post about it so that those of you who are interested have something to refer to...there are many tracking options!

Here is the general NYC Marathon website: http://www.nycmarathon.org/index.htm

First of all, if you want to watch the elite race (it's going to be an AMAZING one) you can do so for free here: http://www.universalsports.com/marathon/nycelites/

The NYC Marathon website has all of its tracking information on this page: http://www.nycmarathon.org/Join_In.htm

My Bib # is: 31582

I am in the Second Wave which starts at 10:10. It will likely take me as many as 10 minutes (if not more) to cross the actual start line, though. My own personal "chip" time will start when I cross the start.

These are the options:

Tracking via the Web - Online
That is, you sit in from of your computer and when I hit certain timing mats, you see where I am on the course...There is no pre-registration required. You just log onto the NYC Marathon website on race day, find the link for "tracking" I imagine they will have it here: http://www.nycmarathon.org/Join_In.htm, type in my name and/or bib number (#31582) and you should be all set. There is no fee for this.

Tracking via SMS (Text Messages)
In the past, this hasn't worked well. When I hit certain timing mats, my chip is supposed to activate the system to send a text message to those who have pre-registered here: http://tadpole.textingforward.com/nyrr/. Unfortunately what seems to happen is that the servers (Verizon, ATT, Sprint, whatever) get bogged down and the texts messages are delayed, kinda defeating the point. The marathon says they are improving this, but they can't really change how the cell phone company's servers operate and what they can handle. This costs $2.99. You can sign up for this now.

Tracking via App with iPhone or Android Phone
This is new this year and the information is here: http://www.nycmarathon.org/Join_In.htm. This is potentially an awesome way to track - if it works. Again, this works like the previous methods wherein you get get updates when I hit certain timing mats on the course. But there's more. I will be running with my iPhone tucked away in a back pocket. If you have the App (which also costs $2.99, though there is a free, limited version for iPhone users only) my phone will work as a GPS and you will be able to track my every move on the course. Basically, my phone will send a signal and if you sign up to track me (you can track up to 10 runners at the same time) you will be able to see where I am on the course at any given moment. Kinda creepy. Kinda crazy. Kinda cool. Hope it works!

So there are your tracking options! If you are curious as to whether I am on pace to hit my goal, you can refer to my race plan here: http://runsjbrun.blogspot.com/2011/11/sjs-race-plan-from-coach-wendy.html

I actually have 3 goals, just in case things don't go exactly as planned:

A Goal: sub-4 hours
B Goal: 4:10
C Goal: PR (sub 4:23)

-----

I also wanted to share with you the greatest pre-race pump up gift EVER. I always tease my friends, sisters Kelly, Kara, and Kendall (Wheeler, Grgas-Wheeler, Goucher, Schoolmeester, whatever...) because of the lengths they go to in order to support each other. One thing they always did back in the day...and still do for Kara (the only one still competing) is make professional (screen printed or embroidered) shirts in support of each other. So, for example, when Kendall was running at the state cross country meet one year, the ENTIRE family (mom Patty and Kara and Kelly) all had on these blue hooded sweatshirts with GIANT red lettering that said: Go Kendall!

It's adorable. Anyway, I've teased them about it and told them it would be the BEST THING EVER if I, too, could be like a Grgas-Wheeler sister and have a shirt made in support of me. Anyway, Kendall got a little crafty and made me a shirt of my own. And no, it doesn't bother me that the shirt was originally intended for a certain Olympian. That's the brilliance of it, really. Thanks Kendall!

1 comment:

  1. Bought the app, got ya loaded in my droid. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete