Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 6 / Half Marathons / Missing My Dad

On Sunday I completed Week 6 of 30 of my JFK 50-miler training. I was travelling and in school for a big chunk of time again, so my mileage didn't move up much. I ran 32 miles. Everything is still feeling great - for which I am truly grateful! I have been working hard on strengthening and stretching my problem areas and it seems to be paying off. Core work works! Excited to start upping my mileage this week.

The Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon (or as I call it, the Grandma's Half) is coming up in just 11 days. Crazy! I've decided that I am not racing it all out - I am just not in shape to do that. I'll push the pace a bit to give myself a good workout, but I am not "racing." There's no way I can come close to my PR...and I have been so healthy that I do not want to risk injury during this base-building period when things have been going so well. Mostly I want to just enjoy running by that beautiful lake on that awesome course. It will be hard, though. I am really, really going to miss my dad.

This past March 16th, I ran the Rock 'n' Roll USA Half Marathon in DC. The start was less than a mile from my home, so I figured, why not? I was really looking at it as a way to kick my butt back in gear. I had not been running much at all, so I was not expecting anything in the way of a good time. I just wanted to get out there, get inspired, and start training regularly again. At this point had no idea what I might even be training for. I just knew I missed running and was having trouble getting back into it.

The race was fun. OK, it wasn't all fun. I had horrible abdominal cramping the whole time, had to stop twice, and my hips were screaming at me from about mile 5 on. But I finished the race satisfied. I ran what I thought was a fine time, about 10 or 11 minutes slower than my PR. Given my fitness level and issues, that was just fine. Most importantly I left the race course excited about running. I went home, showered, got some work done and took a nice nap. Nothing better than a post-race afternoon nap!

Then at 6:30pm the phone rang. It was my brother. My dad had had a heart attack. We didn't know anything except that it happened at his home and the paramedics were not able to revive him. He recovered, but what followed was both the most hopeful and heartbreaking 10 days of my life. In the end, my dad just couldn't hang on. He passed away on March 27th.

My dad loved Grandma's Marathon weekend. He especially loved when I ran the race (half or full). He was so incredibly proud of my athletic pursuits and never missed an opportunity to tell me so. I love Grandma's Marathon weekend not only for the race, but because of the family gatherings that follow. It's hard to comprehend that I won't see him that evening after the race; that we won't share a beer and some ribs or burgers until I simply cannot keep my eyes open anymore.

On March 16th I ran my 16th half marathon. I told my dad about it in the hospital. It was the last time I got to impress him with my athletic achievements. In 11 days, I'll run my 17th half marathon at my favorite event. I'll enjoy it, but it will be bittersweet. I connect running Grandma's with family time and fun. I still intend to experience both of those this year...but there will be a huge piece missing from the weekend...and an even bigger hole in my heart.

This year will be my first half marathon at Grandma's since 2004! I ran my first ever half marathon at Grandma's in 2003. Since 2004, I have run the full marathon in Duluth in 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011. It will be nice to go back to starting the race a bit closer to the bridge!

Today, Wendy had me do some speed work. Speed work always reminds me of my high school track days: I love it. During my cool down, I thought about all of the memories and sadness I referenced above. And, well, I thought I'd share them here.



Me and my dad after I set a PR at Grandma's Marathon 2011. Party time!

Training Mileage Summary
Week 1: 30
Week 2: 31
Week 3: 36
Week 4: 36
Week 5: 27
Week 6: 32



No comments:

Post a Comment