Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Weeks 4 & 5: Quick Update, Quick Catch-Up

I am trying not to go too long between posts. But I don't have much to report. Training is going well - really well, actually. For me "really well" means I am having no injury problems (barely a niggle!) and I am still really, really enjoying my runs. Those things are far more important than hitting any sort of time or distance benchmarks. I completed week 5 of 30 on Sunday, June 2.

We are starting to work in things other than just slow, base-building running - and I really enjoy mixing it up with different types of workouts. Last week it was hills. I actually LOVE hill work. My body is naturally suited to stuff that requires power and strength and I love the challenge. This week I am starting to work in a little bit of speed work so it's not a total shock to my system (like it was in the 10K) when I run a half marathon in a few weeks. I'll be running the world's best half marathon at Grandma's in my hometown of Duluth, MN on June 22. I still haven't decided if I will be racing it (i.e., pushing hard to try to hit a decent time) or just running it (i.e., just getting in a good workout as part of my training). Either way, I'll be running it faster than I have been doing my training runs and I don't want to completely piss off my hamstrings and hips.

This past weekend and this upcoming weekend I am in DC taking a summer class. It is a condensed class with VERY long days over the weekend...so we've had to be creative with my miles and scheduling. As such, we are pretty much in a holding pattern as far as my overall weekly mileage goes. I think that's a good thing, though. It's giving me the chance to start slow and really get my body used to running 6 days/week again. That said, I am looking forward to getting through this class, getting past the half marathon, and really starting to increase my mileage. So far in this training cycle my longest run is 10 miles (which I've done twice, and quite comfortably). I'll max out at 10 again this week.

I do need to give a public shout-out to my ever amazing coach and friend, Wendy. I am certain I am getting far more detailed attention and care - with regard to my training plan, scheduling, adjustments, overall fitness and health goals, etc. - than I would get if I was paying some coach online or at a gym to help me. I am extremely lucky and very grateful. Thanks, m'dear! Let's keep rockin'!

Training Mileage Summary
Week 1: 30 miles
Week 2: 31 miles
Week 3: 36 miles
Week 4: 36 miles
Week 5: 27 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment