Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sidelined

I've been dealing with a disappointing and frustrating injury that has had me sidelined for the last week and a half. It's been a huge bummer on lots of levels. I moved back to DC a week ago and have been getting settled in for my final year of law school. I was excited to get back into town and go on some of my favorite running routes with my extra time before the semester started. No such luck. I am not sure what the injury is yet - I have pain in my lower back/butt that results from weight-bearing. So, running. And, well, walking. The pain has moved to different areas, so I am fairly certain it is nerve-related. Based on my history and experience (I have a herniated disc in my neck), I am guessing it is a herniated disc in my lower back. I see the doctor this week and will hopefully learn more.

So, the bad news is I haven't been able to run. Fortunately, pain only comes from putting weight on it so I have been riding a stationary bike at the gym and keeping up with my strength/core workouts in order to keep up my fitness. I also plan to start water jogging this week. This isn't altogether unfamiliar territory for me. In both high school and college, when I was a sprinter, I tore my hamstring (each of them, four-years apart!) and was relegated to the pool. Though it's not ideal (it's boring as hell) it is a great way to, again, keep up fitness and endurance when regular running isn't an option.

I am optimistic I will get this figured out and I will be back on my feet - and on the trails of DC - within the next week or so. Whatever the case, I am confident I will be on the starting line in Boonsboro, MD in November!

Mostly, I am bummed because I am really missing running. It's good for me (and you!) on so many levels and I am mourning the loss of it right now.

Fundraising has been going well! I've raised $1,180 so far! Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'm well on my way to my goal of raising $3,500 by November 23rd! If you would like to donate, you can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment