Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Four?

So perhaps the biggest hesitation I had - as Wendy and I were discussing this idea and she was developing a plan - was when she told me she wanted me to run (only) four days per week. Four? Huh? I prefer six. For the most part, I don't like cross training - with the exception of spinning class, which I adore. I LOATHE the elliptical and think it is pointless (I have no intention of being an ellipticaler, I am trying to be a runner)...so even if it is just a few miles, I like to run every day.

That said, I have gotten to a point where running 3 or 4 miles feels pretty pointless. Like, should I really get my running clothes dirty for that? And so when Wendy explained her idea further, I started to buy her explanation. Of course, it didn't matter whether I bought it or not. I told her it was ALL up to her - that I would do whatever she said. That's the whole point of this plan.

So, while I only run 4 days/week, all days are a decent amount of mileage. The point is, she says, to work on my underlying problem which is lack of endurance. If I do less runs, but all of them are longer...well, my body will start to adjust in the way that it needs to...it will become better at running longer.

I will have her explain her 4 days/week theory at a later time - she has author privileges and will contribute to this blog from time to time.

So what was on the schedule today? Nothing or cross-training. Yup. Nothing was an option. After my 20 trashed my legs yesterday, Wendy suggested that perhaps I just walk - she said that was a valid form of cross training to just get my legs moving and to burn some calories. So that is what I did.

I walked. I walked all over my old neighborhood here in Duluth and it was a total blast. I grew up in an exceptionally beautiful place! So much charm, character, and natural beauty.

Cross training will be a challenge here in Duluth because I don't have a bike. I can go to my old gym, where a day pass is only $6, but that is tough when it is so nice outside. Still brainstorming how I will fill those three days/week when I am NOT supposed to be running.

On tap tomorrow? 7 with some hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment