Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Memory Lane

I really enjoyed my 7-miler today but it was tough at the start. My legs were feeling it from Monday's 20...and Wendy wanted me to work in some hills. Well, that's easy enough when you live in Duluth.

I ran up by my old middle and elementary schools and into Chester Bowl...then out on Skyline for a bit for another great view of the Gitchie Gummi. I then ran back out toward UMD (University of MN-Duluth) and decided to take a couple of laps around the track...boy do I love a track. I LOVE them. The feel, the smell, the painted triangles marking the relay zones. And this particular one holds lots of memories for me - some not so great.

It was on this track when, in 8th grade, my 4 x 1 relay (which was a shoe-in to win and make it to State) got interrupted when another team dropped their baton and ran into our lane, stopping our second runner...she did her best to make up by the time...and we still almost won. But when you are stopped dead in your tracks in the 4 x 1 you just can't get enough momentum back. Heart breaker.

It is also the track where Kara Wheeler (Goucher) false started in the mile. Yup, the mile. I remember that day very vividly. I was chilling under the bleachers when it happened. One false start and you are out in high school track - but most people aren't expecting it to happen in the mile. Kara was obviously expected to win the state meet that year, so not getting to compete there was devastating.

It was also on this track, during the Lake Superior Conference Meet in 10th grade (my best season by far), where I tore/strained my hamstring in the middle of the 100m dash final. It felt like I had been shot in the back of the leg and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I spent the next couple of weeks doing intense pool workouts and physical therapy (stim and ultrasound) - and a couple of days before Sections the trainer (good old Gail) rigged up a wrap, using therabands and ace bandages, to create a support for my hamstring that made it much tougher for me to pull my leg down, but allowed it to pop up on it's own. It wasn't the prettiest stride (or wrap!), but I was able to run fast enough to qualify for the State meet again (along with my two H.S. sprinting nemeses, Livia Monticelli and Shyla MacKibbon).

I have an great picture of the three of us at the finish line of this race - me with the crazy wrap on my leg - but it is unfortunately living in storage in Maryland at the moment. I'll have to share that one this fall when I get my life out of storage.

Oh, the memories.

By the end of this run, I didn't want to stop. I am getting to the point where I don't even really feel warmed up until 4-5 miles in but once I get going, I don't want the run to end.

I am very happy to be home. And I am very happy to be running.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't Hiawatha live on the shores of the Gutchie Gummi?

    This is Liz R

    ReplyDelete