Saturday, May 28, 2011

Parched!

On the schedule today was 7 miles. In my top-secret, pre-run email that arrives in my inbox in the evening but I am not allowed to open until just before the run, Coach W said to:

Run these miles so that I enjoy them. Whatever pace feels good, and if I want to floor it (within reason) at the end, go for it.

I may have again ignored the "within reason" part...more on that later.

Wendy's instructions came, in part, from a book I am reading and I suggested she read as well. It's called "RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel" by Matt Fitzgerald.

I bought this book on a whim prior to exams when I was trying to read everything but my casebooks. I knew nothing about the book, or Fitzgerald, but it's always neat when you start a book and your friend is quoted inside the cover. It actually has tidbits from lots of current elites and I have learning a lot from Fitzgerald's suggestions and data.

Anyway, I thought Wendy would like the book too because it goes along with a lot of the things she has been trying to tell me - about listening to myself, trusting myself, and using my head as much as my body to improve my running. It also has a lot of numbers, data, and scientific jargon and I thought PhD nurse W would like that part as well.

So I set off today for a 40 degree run in the rain. I parked at 26th and was the only one there when I left - which made me feel hard core. Hey, I'll give myself positive reinforcement and self-esteem bumps where I can get them!

Enjoy it. That's all I had to do today. Easy enough, right? Wrong. By a mile in I was SO thirsty. Like...incredibly so. I am a bit of a water addict and am constantly drinking water...so when I go for a run this short, I never carry water. I hate carrying, so unless I absolutely feel I have to, I don't. But I was seriously thirsty. Like, to my core. I reminded myself it was only 7 miles and knew I would be fine...but I was definitely not enjoying it. Damn. My only instruction.

I tried to take my mind off of it but was just plain parched and it made me feel tired all over. Finally, just under 3 miles in, I stopped at a gas station right on the side of the trail. Shout out to the nice worker at Super American at 58th who told me to help myself to a glass and water out of the soda machine. Ah, that's better.

And it was. So much better. From that point on the run was great - I was a bit too warm because I had worn a jacket, but other than that I felt really solid out there. It was all flat except for a portion of Seven Bridges Road that I ran ran up before turning around to head home.

I was coming upon the 6 mile mark and decided that, yes, I wanted to floor it. I was feeling great. I clicked the track on my ipod from the book I was listening to to some music and took off. I knew I was going fast - and a voice inside me told me I would hate myself during tomorrow's long run for doing this - but I couldn't help myself. It was cool, refreshing, and I was pretty much alone out there cutting through the thick fog. Bliss.

I am not sure what Coach will have to say about my splits. I share those with her, but not here, because that really isn't what this is about - at least not yet. She hasn't scolded me yet...but, of course, we are just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment