Sunday, May 22, 2011

I couldn't possibly need to send my running gloves home for the summer...

...so I thought when I was packing stuff to ship to MN. I would have liked them today...it was chilly out there! Foggy and a cool drizzle coming down on me until the very end of this one. At least I was smart enough to wear pants and a long sleeve this time.

All weather-related whining aside, it was another good run. 9 miles, slow and easy.

Since I pushed it yesterday, Coach said to take this one slow and warned me that it might feel sluggish after the upbeat pace I took yesterday. Boy was she right. The first couple of of miles were fine...but then my legs really started to feel heavy and tight.

I ran on the "new" (at least to me) extension of the Lakewalk that goes East from 26th. It was great! What a swell idea! This took me to around 61st, I think, and then I jumped on the Grandma's course...down London road a couple of blocks and then onto old Hwy 61. It was pretty deserted out there - just me and a few other runners (and very few cars) which was nice. I ran by the 18 and 5 mile marks (for the full and half, respectively) which got me thinking about marathons past.

This was an out and back and by mile 6 I was really dragging. I felt fine, I was just aware that my legs didn't have a lot of umph.

Coach did say that I could pick it up for the last mile if I felt like it. She also said not to pick it up too much and I fear I may have disobeyed this instruction. The second my watch beeped at the 8 mile mark I took off. Within 10 seconds, my legs felt better, lighter, and fresher than they had during this whole run. It was brilliant! I kept up an aggressive pace and pretended it was the last mile of a marathon - per Coach's suggestion. (Oh, to feel that good at the end of a marathon!) I ended up running this last mile about two and a half minutes faster than mile 8. Alas. Coach may have to be a bit more strict and specific when she gives me options to "pick it up" and "finish strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment