Saturday, May 21, 2011

"If it feels right, add some pep to your step"

...so said Coach Wendy in the overnight email I read this morning.

I hadn't run in 2 days (which is not normal, but my schedule is still a bit messed up from exams, travel, etc.) So Wendy knew I was itching to get out there today.

She also knows how much I like to run FAST. So she gave me the permission to pick this one up a bit if it felt good. I didn't have to do so, but I could if I wanted. Since this one was only 6 miles, I was excited to be able to do more than just run comfortably and slow.

In all of my runs right now, I don't look at my pace at all. I have no idea. I am completely running by feel. On the face of my garmin gps watch, I only see my distance.

It is COLD in Duluth today. But at my house it was still around 45 so I wore shorts. I was fine...but it was definitely a pants day down by Lake Superior. I ran on the Lakewalk and it was relatively deserted due to the cold temps: perfect. Just me and a few other runners.

Here is an internet photo I found for those of you who aren't from around these parts:



I knew I wanted to take Wendy up on her offer to pick up the pace on this one...and when "Without Love" from Hairpsray and Kanye West's "Golddigger" came on my shuffle mix during miles 2-3, I knew it was a sign. There was no way I could hold back. Thinking of my days working with all of those skinny and buff dancers on Hairspray made it hard not to get my butt moving...and Kanye stirring up my deep and visceral loathing of Taylor Swift always causes my heartbeat to speed up and my intensity to rise out of pure irritation and furor.

It was on.

It was gray and gloomy and the lake was choppy and in my head that made it all feel more invigorating. I truly did not want this one to end.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the Lakewalk and the lift bridge. Good times.....

    ReplyDelete